Home » Literacy Narrative

Literacy Narrative

Rhetorical Situation Essay

On the first day of class, Ms.Killebrew passed out two illustrations, on by  Norman Rockwell and the other by Glenn McCoy. Norman Rockwell’s painting, “The Problem We All Live With” depicts the struggle Ruby Bridges’ faced when she tried to enter a previously all-white school and serves as an example of the many injustices people of color have faced and continue to face. Glenn McCoy’s political cartoon of Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos being escorted into a public school during a protest. When I saw Rockwell’s painting of Ruby Bridges I was heartbroken because of the way American minorities were treated by white Americans. McCoy’s political cartoon angered me because he falsely compares DeVos’ situation to Ruby Bridges’ situation. It upset me that someone would twist a situation to suit their narrative with no regard for the importance of the original painting.

The two illustrations take place in different yet similar settings. Norman Rockwell’s painting of Ruby Bridges takes place in the 1960’s during the civil rights movement. The painting illustrates Ruby Bridges’ first walk into a previously all-white school in New Orleans. The political cartoon by Glenn McCoy takes place in 2017 when Betsy DeVos was visiting a public school in Washington D.C. but was met by parents protesting her qualifications as Secretary of education. I feel like the political cartoon is trying to manipulate the situation in order to seek sympathy for her from the audience similar to how Rockwell’s painting evokes feelings of sympathy for Ruby Bridges in his audience. While the two illustrations are similar in this aspect they serve two completely different purposes. The purpose of Norman Rockwell’s painting is to bring light to the injustices African Americans and other minorities faced in 1960’s America. The purpose of McCoy’s painting is to victimize a woman of privilege and wealth to promote his political agenda.

After seeing Glenn McCoy’s political cartoon it changed my view on the effect a political cartoon can have. Before I saw the political cartoon I thought they were mainly used to make fun of or joke about political situations. After seeing the cartoon I realized the very real effects they can have, they can be used to promote false narratives and make fun of very serious and important situations. Now that I know how political cartoons can be used to manipulate people I no longer find them amusing or entertaining.

The painting of Ruby Bridges makes me sad to know that people of color faced and continue to face such rough and degrading situations. It makes me wonder how I would have felt if it were me walking to school on my first day only to be met by angry white parents spitting and throwing rocks things at me. It also makes me wonder if Ruby understood the gravity of her situation and how important it was for her to walk to school that day. It especially makes me angry that McCoy would manipulate such an important and sensitive painting to fit his narrative that a rich white woman is the victim of discrimination because of her wealth when she is in fact not.

As the child of an immigrant who was not fortunate enough to pursue a higher education, I know how important it is for me to continue my education and take advantage of my educational privileges. I also know how important it is for my mother that I pursue a higher education which is why I want to do my best as a City College student. Seeing Ruby Bridges be subject to abuse for pursuing an educations makes me acknowledge and appreciate the fact that I am privileged enough to get a higher education.

By seeing both illustrations and comparing them I have learned how a person can manipulate the nature of a situation to seek sympathy from their audience and promote their own biases. The comparison between an underprivileged African American girl and a billionaire white woman shows me that McCoy does not understand the importance the painting of Ruby Bridges holds for people of color and those who believe in equality. It is obvious to me that McCoy’s target audience is Americans who support giving people with business backgrounds a position where they are in charge of the education of public school children.    

After seeing both the political cartoon of Betsy DeVos and the painting of Ruby Bridges in class it made me think about how racism and social injustice is still around today. I thought about how important it is for me to continue my education and take advantage of my educational privileges. I wondered if Ruby understood the gravity of her situation and how important it was for her to walk to school that day. After seeing the political cartoon of Betsy DeVos I realized the very real effects they can have, they can be used to promote false narratives and make fun of very serious and important situations. Now I think about the importance of standing up to inequality.